[Orgmode] Added support for "habit tracking"

From: John Wiegley
Subject: [Orgmode] Added support for "habit tracking"
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 04:26:02 -0400

There are really two kinds of TODOs on people's lists:

  1. Those whose importance is that they get done.
  2. Those whose importance is that they are done consistently.

I think most married people will know what I mean. If you wash the dishes once after not having done it all month, you're not likely to win much applause. But if you mow the lawn every month like clockwork, it's the regularity that does it.

Tracking habits isn't suited to a regular task manager, however. You can see that the task needs to be done in your agenda, but you don't know if it's a task that sorely needs attention because you've been neglecting it, or if you've really been on the ball and don't _have_ to do it today.

In the commercial world there is an app to address this kind of task called Sciral Consistency (http://sciral.com/consistency/). I've been using it for about a year, and it's fantastic for making sure I keep up on my everyday duties, both at work and at home.

Well, I've implemented the functionality of Sciral for Org. It works just as described on the Sciral webpage, complete with colorful graphs that appear to the right of the task name in the agenda buffer. The graph even follows the same coloring algorithm as Sciral.

To test out this new feature, apply the attached patches and read the new manual section on "Tracking your habits".

John