Re: [Orgmode] LaTeX export of tables

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] LaTeX export of tables
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 10:17:39 +0200

On Oct 19, 2009, at 1:58 PM, Francesco Pizzolante wrote:

Hi,

Can I give this thread a bump?

Hi Francesco,

Org-mode LaTeX export is intended to give you a way to
export your file as LaTeX.  It can never hope to give you
all the formatting options LaTeX has. Sure, what you are saying could be implemented, but so could many other things. If you can come up with a patch, I would consider it, but I am so strained to keep up with the daily stuff, I don't expect to be able to put time into this.

An alternative to do this is to post-process your file using one of
the hooks and to switch out the environment used at that moment.

- Carsten

Francesco Pizzolante wrote:
Hi,

When exporting tables to LaTeX, I think it would be good to have the following
options to be able to define:

- the table environment to be used: now we have the option to have tabular and longtable, but I could also use array, tabular*, tabularx, tabulary,
   etc.

   The general rule is:

   \begin{TABLEENV}{WIDTH}[VPOS]{COLS}
   ROWS
   \end{TABLEENV}

TABLEENV can be any of tabular, array, tabular*, tabularx, etc., depending
   on the type of table I want.

Some types of table need a WIDTH to be specified; in this case, I would add a WIDTH option. An extra vertical position VPOS option can also be
   added to some types of table.

   The COLS parameter already receives the value from the "align" org
   attribute.

   The following options

   #+ATTR_LATEX: tabularx width=\textwidth align=lX vpos=tb

   would generate the following LaTeX code:

   \begin{tabularx}{\textwidth}[tb]{lX}
   ROWS
   \end{tabularx}

 - the rule to be used as hline (similar option as in
   #+ORGTBL: :hline="\\midrule"):

   #+ATTR_LATEX: hline=midrule or #+ATTR_LATEX: hline="\\midrule"

 - define the top and bottom rules:

   #+ATTR_LATEX: toprule="\\toprule" bottomrule="\\bottomrule"

Does it make sense? Would it be possible to have these new options in a future
orgmode release?

I really am eager to use orgmode in order to generate all my LaTeX documents. But, as of now, the LaTeX export of tables offers only limited flexibility.

My proposal is simply to add a few org attributes (type of the table, toprule,
bottomrule, hline, vpos) in order to get an improved flexibility when
generating LaTeX tables.

Can someone take care of my request?

Thanks a lot,
Francesco