Re: [Orgmode] getting Firefox tabs into org on a mac

From: James TD Smith
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] getting Firefox tabs into org on a mac
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 11:22:47 +0100

Hi Samuel,

On 2009-10-19 20:40:54(-0700), Samuel Wales wrote:
> I have a huge number of Firefox tabs that I want to get into
> org.  Figuring out how has gotten complicated, despite good
> documentation out there.
>
> I want simply title and url for each tab.
>
> Maybe like this:
>
>   * Firefox tabs
>     * Public Git Hosting - Worg.git/summary
>   http://repo.or.cz/w/Worg.git
>     * Google Search
>   http://www.google.com

There's a plugin for Firefox called Copy All URLs, which lets you copy all the
titles and URLS of your current tabs to the clipboard. You can get it from
http://plasser.net/copyallurls/

You can specify the markup used for each line; I have '[[$url][$title]]' so I
get a list of org links. After copying the url list you can then either just
paste your it into an org buffer, or use a remember template which includes
clipboard contents.

> Would be nice to get fancier by allowing annotations (for
> use by fireforg?).  And allowing syncing back and forth.
> But first, I just want to get started.
>
> I envision two ways of doing this.  Maybe there are more.
>
>   1) Have emacs or a script convert one of the folders in
>      the bookmark file to an org outline as above.
>   2) Have org-mac-protocol set up for individual tabs to be
>      clicked to get them remembered.
>
> If I do (2), then I'd want it to be easy.  That is, without
> having to switch from mouse to keyboard.  But does (2) work
> on a Mac?  Last I heard, org-mac-protocol works for Safari,
> but not Firefox.

Did you see my post to the list regarding Firefox keybindings? I have no idea if
org-protocol works with Firefox on the Mac though.

> P.S.  I /also/ have a huge number of Safari tabs and a huge
> number of emacs-w3m tabs.  I've found those also difficult
> to orgify.  So ideas here are also welcome.  But Firefox is
> more important now.

I can give you a solution for w3m:

(defun ahkt-w3m-tabs-to-org ()
  (interactive)
  (let (tabs)
    (dolist (buf (buffer-list))
      (with-current-buffer buf
      (if (and (eq major-mode 'w3m-mode))
          (push (org-make-link-string w3m-current-url w3m-current-title)
          tabs))))
    (kill-new (mapconcat 'identity tabs "\n"))))

James

--
|-<James TD Smith>-<email/address@hidden>-|