[Orgmode] Re: Added support for "habit tracking"

From: John Wiegley
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Added support for "habit tracking"
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 12:48:32 -0400

On Oct 20, 2009, at 10:02 AM, Matt Lundin wrote:

1. The syntax for defining habits seems fairly complex. One must add a
repeating scheduled timestamp, a repeating deadline timestamp and a
property. I was wondering if there could be anyway to automate creating
new habits---e.g., a dialog that asks for the appropriate time spans.
(My own preference would be to use a new timestamp notation to indicate
habits. I'm not sure what this would look like. Perhaps something like
this: SCHEDULED: <2009-10-17 Sat !+2+2> --- where the first number is
the repeating span and the second is the "grace period". Of course, I
have no idea whether this is possible.)

I agree with you here, and think that a more comprehensive SCHEDULED syntax might be just the fix. I'll look into this. Perhaps using a syntax like "!+2/2".

3. The faces for the graph are difficult to read against dark
backgrounds. (See attached image.)

I'll fix this too.

4. I currently use the tag :HABIT: to track habits. This allows for easy filtering in the agenda. I'm wondering whether there might be an option
to designate habits with a user-defined tag rather than the STYLE
property. The advantage would be much faster agenda searches for habits.

You can search for STYLE="habit". I myself use contextual tags on the habits, because some of them aren't appropriate in other location, and I wouldn't want to see ":HABIT:" in the right-hand column for every one.

Also, note that you can press K now to filter habits in and out of the agenda view. They are also by default restricted to only appearing in todays' agenda view.

John