Re: [Orgmode] Sage Math - Maybe some inspiration for org-babel

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Sage Math - Maybe some inspiration for org-babel
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 08:23:07 -0600

Darlan Cavalcante Moreira <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Eric,
>
> My comments are also inline
>
> At Wed, 21 Oct 2009 09:11:50 -0600,
> Eric Schulte wrote:

[...]

>> what behavior would you suggest results from a :hide header argument?
>
> My suggestion is that if a source block has the :hide header argument it
> should
> be closed by default as if the user had pressed tab. The user could then press
> tab at the "#BEGIN_SRC ..." line to show the content of the block and, maybe,
> the block could be closed again if the cursor leaves the block. This can be
> useful for other blocks as well.

That seems very reasonable.  I'll pop this onto the TODO stack for
org-babel (meaning hopefully something will happen at some time).

> Let me use the sage as inspiration again. In sage when you put the cursor
> above
> the text-area a blue line is showed. If you click on this line a new text-area
> is created above the current one but the really nice trick is that shift+click
> creates an HTML text-area (with a tool-bar with bold, italic, centralized
> buttons, etc). Then you can create a worksheet in sage such as
>                            +-----------------------+
>                            |    Some HTML text     |
>                            | describing a problem  |
>                            |    Use jsMath for     |
>                            |    nice equations     |
>                            |   with latex syntax   |
>                            +-----------------------+
>                            |%hide                  |
>                            | some hidden code that |
>                            | generates some output |
>                            +-----------------------+
>                            |    solution of the    |
>                            |   problem that was    |
>                            |calculated by the code |
>                            +-----------------------+
>
> That is, when you are only interested in the output and not in the code itself
> you use the %hide comment. I'm not sure what is the best way to handle the
> :hide
> argument when exporting. Maybe it is better to use it simple for folding in
> the
> org buffer and use another option to control export of the block.

yes, I would agree that we should restrict the :hide argument to folding
in the org-mode buffer.  Currently there is an :exports header argument
which takes the self-explanatory values of
- none
- code
- results
- both