Re: [Orgmode] sexp in org remember templates

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] sexp in org remember templates
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 18:31:01 -0400

Richard Riley <address@hidden> wrote:

> Not being much of an elisp programmer and just returning to try and
> integrate with org-learn a little :-
>
> This
>
>             ("vocab"?v "* Learn TODO %(format '%s' rgr/orig-word)
>             :VOCAB:\n:PROPERTIES:\n:orig:\t%(format '%s'
>             rgr/orig-word)\n:trans:\t%(format '%s'
>             rgr/trans-word)\n:END:%!" nil bottom nil)
>
> fails me by outputting:

At the very least, you need to avoid single quotes for quoting strings -
a single quote has a very special meaning to lisp in general: it inhibits
evaluation of the following sexp.

Try something like this instead:

("vocab"?v "* Learn TODO %(format \"%s\" rgr/orig-word)
              :VOCAB:\n:PROPERTIES:\n:orig:\t%(format \"%s\"
              rgr/orig-word)\n:trans:\t%(format \"%s\"
              rgr/trans-word)\n:END:%!" nil bottom nil)

However, no guarantees: when (or even whether) the format calls will be executed
(let alone whether they'll produce the correct result) depends on the
code that handles this construct. There have been a couple of questions
on the mailing list about such evaluations in the context of
org-remember-templates, and IIRC, Carsten had added an evaluation
mechanism there - see e.g. the thread at

   http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/14521

and another thread referenced therein for some details. But I don't know
if this will do what you need it to do.

HTH,
Nick