[Orgmode] Re: Proposed key binding changes: archiving and attachments

From: Matt Lundin
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Proposed key binding changes: archiving and attachments
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 07:36:43 -0400

Hi Carsten,

> Hi everyone,
>
> I would like to change some key bindings related to archiving,
> and this change will also affect the access key for attachments.
>
> The main reason is that I think there should be a single default key
> for archiving, and that the user sets a variable to decide what the
> default
> archiving method should be.  I would like this key to be `C-c C-a' which
> is why the org-attach key would have to move as well.
>
> Here is my proposal:
>
> In Org-mode files
> -----------------
>
> C-c C-a      archive default (setq by org-archive-default-command)
> C-c C-x C-s  org-archive-subtree (C-c $ remains valid as well)
> C-c C-x a    org-toggle-archive-tag
> C-c C-x A    org-archive-to-archive-sibling
>
> C-c C-x C-a  attach

Since I've taken to using attachments quite a bit, I would most likely
restore the current keybindings in my own settings.

My chief concern with mapping archiving to C-c C-a is that it is too
close to the conventional keybinding for org-agenda (C-c a). With the
proposed keybindings, I fear it might be too easy to introduce drastic
changes in a file accidentally. (E.g., I sometimes hit C-c C-a when I
intend to hit C-c a and vice versa.)

> In the agenda
> -------------
> a            archive with org-archive-default-command
> C-c C-a      same as a
> C-c C-x a    org-toggle-archive-tag
> C-c C-x A    org-archive-to-archive-sibling
> C-c C-x C-s  org-archive-subtree ($ remains valid as well)

Again, I would prefer that C-c C-a remain bound to org-attach.

I currently unbind "a" (org-toggle-archive-tag) in the agenda. In the
past, items often mysteriously disappeared from my agenda view. I
discovered the cause: I was occasionally hitting "a" by accident.

I agree with Peter that commands with relatively destructive
consequences (such as archiving) should not be bound to a single key.
One wouldn't want to miss an appointment because one accidentally hits
"a" in the agenda. :)

Thanks for giving us the chance to provide feedback on these proposed
changes.

- Matt