[Orgmode] Re: Proposed key binding changes: archiving and attachments

From: Leo
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Proposed key binding changes: archiving and attachments
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 17:54:17 +0000

On 2009-10-30 06:54 +0000, Carsten Dominik wrote:
> I would like to change some key bindings related to archiving, and
> this change will also affect the access key for attachments.
>
> The main reason is that I think there should be a single default key
> for archiving, and that the user sets a variable to decide what the
> default archiving method should be. I would like this key to be `C-c
> C-a' which is why the org-attach key would have to move as well.

I think one of these days we could take a look at the whole of the key
bindings in org mode. It is violating some conventions. For example,
'Alt' usually means something slightly different in actions in both
Emacs and other applications on the system:

 `C-f'   -> forward-char
 `C-M-f' -> forward-sexp

On OS X,
  Cmd + H               -> Hide <APP>
  Cmd + Option(Alt) + H -> Hide others

But in org, it seems the Shift key is taking this role:

   M-RET
   M-S-RET

And usually Shift is not a modifier on terminals so another set of keys
are provided.

Another problem is the C-c C-x prefix. It makes the keys look long. And
I always fear I might type C-x C-c instead which exits Emacs.

Best wishes,

Leo

--
Emacs uptime: 38 days, 8 hours, 42 minutes, 15 seconds