Re: [Orgmode] suggestion: automatically recording entry creation date

From: Adam Spiers
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] suggestion: automatically recording entry creation date
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 00:01:42 +0000

Ilya Shlyakhter (address@hidden) wrote:
> A frequently-needed task is to find recently created entries.  Right
> now I do this by manually pasting a date into each entry,
> and using the timeline agenda.
> Maybe, there are better ways?  E.g. have the option to automatically
> record a property, "Creation-date", when an entry is created.
> There would be much clutter if every entry had a :PROPERTIES: line.
> But maybe there could be an option to hide the :PROPERTIES:
> lines completely, unless it contained some user-defined properties.
>
> Or, creation date could be stored as a text property, to avoid
> clutter, for long-running emacs sessions.   But it would be lost when
> the file is closed.
> Maybe at file-closing time it could be converted to a normal property
> in the :PROPERTIES: drawer.
>
> Or maybe there are other options?

This would be useful to me too.  It would be valuable not just for
finding recently created ones, but for sorting any generated list of
entries by creation date.  This would for example make it easier to
ensure that entries don't get stale with age.

Bernt's approach is nice, but I agree that a completely clutter-free
solution (i.e. :PROPERTIES: drawers completely hidden by default)
would be extremely nice.