Re: [Orgmode] RSI

From: Adam Spiers
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] RSI
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 11:22:57 +0000

On Tue, Sep 01, 2009 at 01:22:13PM -0500, Keith Lancaster wrote:
> Emacs can definitely lead to RSI - Richard Stallman, the creator,
> developed it.
>
> I am quite prone to RSI, which led me to VIM due to its modal
> operation (very few modifier key combos). I used VIM for quite a
> while and did not have any issues, but org-mode pulled me to emacs.
> I now use a kinesis keyboard and have no RSI issues. The keyboard
> combined with the idea expressed below that you use different hands
> when pressing control key combinations has really helped. The
> Kinesis puts all the control keys (control, meta, command) on your
> thumbs. Its expensive, but worth every penny to me at least. Check
> them out at http://www.kinesis-ergo.

I've come to this discussion a few months late, but I just wanted to
add my strongest recommendation for Kinesis keyboards to Keith's and
Ben's.  Their contoured keyboards have quite simply saved my career
from certain demise:

  http://www.kinesis-ergo.com/contoured.htm

I can't say that about any other piece of electronic kit I've ever
bought, no matter how fancy - when viewed in that light, it transforms
the seemingly crazy investment of several hundred dollars on a couple
of keyboards into a complete no-brainer.