[Orgmode] Re: DiTAA graph not in local directory

From: Sébastien Vauban
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: DiTAA graph not in local directory
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2009 10:34:22 +0100

Hi Bernt & Carsten,

Carsten wrote:
> Bernt Hansen wrote:
>> Sébastien Vauban writes:
>>
>>> I try to generate the following DiTAA graph for LaTeX inclusion.
>>>
>>> It's in my Org file `~/dir1/dir2/ecm.org':
>>>
>>> --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
>>> * Context
>>>
>>>   This comes from norang.ca.
>>>
>>> #+begin_ditaa communication.png -r -s 0.8
>>>      +-----------+        +---------+
>>>      |    PLC    |        |         |
>>>      |  Network  +<------>+   PLC   +
>>>      |    cRED   |        |  c707   |
>>>      +-----------+        +----+----+
>>> #+end_ditaa
>>> --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
>>>
>>> When exporting to LaTeX, the image is well generated, but in my `~/'
>>> directory. Not in `~/dir1/dir2/', hence not found by LaTeX.
>>
>> That's not how my version of org-mode works. My exported communication.png
>> is local to the org file. I just created your example in
>> ~/nobackup/tmp/foo.org and exported to latex and it creates
>> communication.png in ~/nobackup/tmp/communication.png

You're more lucky than I am ;-)

>> Org-mode version 6.32trans (release_6.32b.122.g41496)
>> GNU Emacs 22.2.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.12.11) of 2008-11-09
>> on raven, modified by Debian

`M-x version' gives: "Org-mode version 6.32trans". I think I got it on last
Thu or Fri morning.

>> Now if I change the working directory with M-x cd and enter ~
>> then export it does what you see.  Maybe your default directory is not
>> the location of your org file?

I have, since long, the following chunk in my `.emacs', for setting the
`default-directory':

;; change the default directory (if it exists)
;; (it is also the default directory when attaching files to mails)
(let ((my-default-directory "~/"))
  (setq default-directory
        (if (file-directory-p my-default-directory)
            my-default-directory
          (getenv "HOME"))))

When looking for the current value of that variable, I have:

default-directory is a variable defined in `C source code'.
Its value is "~/"
Local in buffer *followup to Bernt Hansen on gmane.emacs.orgmode*; global value
is nil

  Automatically becomes buffer-local when set in any fashion.
  This variable is safe as a file local variable if its value
  satisfies the predicate `stringp'.

Documentation:
Name of default directory of current buffer.  Should end with slash.
To interactively change the default directory, use command `cd'.

Note that I am a bit puzzled, now, by the fact that variable has a
buffer-local value, and that its global value is nil. Maybe I should do
`setq-default' instead of `setq'?

Anyway, I don't remember exactly why I did set that, but I think it's for easy
opening of files (right prefix when `C-x C-f').

Regarding my Org files, I have 2 main usages:

- organizational files, with items to do, scheduling dates and deadlines;
- text files (without any active dates) that I purely want to write easily and
  export nicely (in LaTeX).

The "organizational files" are located either in `~/Personal' or in
`~/Projects':

    ;; directory with org files (used by the hooks for `remember.el')
    (setq org-directory
          (if (file-directory-p "~/Personal/")
              "~/Personal/"
            "~/"))

    ;; set which files to search for TODO entries and scheduled items
    ;; (avoiding hidden files)
    (setq org-agenda-files
          (append (directory-files org-directory t "^[^\\.].*\\.org$")
                  (if (file-exists-p "~/Projects/")
                      (directory-files "~/Projects/" t "^[^\\.].*\\.org$")
                    nil)))

The "text files" are anywhere on my disk, generally in subdirectories of
`~/Projects'.

The real directory of the file that's causing me "troubles" (in my above
description) is, for example,
`~/Projects/Insurance/Acme/docs/operations-manual'.

> what is the publication context here?  Are you pressing `C-c C-e d' from the
> buffer, or is this a project published with org-publish?

I'm exporting with `C-c C-e l' to produce a LaTeX document in another buffer.
Then, I move to it, and do `C-c C-c' to compile it to PDF, and view it.

Carsten, you pinpoint another trouble that I've had months ago (when first
using Org) and never changed, being accustomed to it, over time...

If I do `C-c C-e d', I never get the PDF successfully compiled, as TeX says it
does not find my pictures (though, local to the document).

My document is here:

~/Projects/Insurance/Acme/docs/operations-manual/Upload_documentation.org

My static picture (for direct inclusion, not generated by Ditaa) is there as
well:

~/Projects/Insurance/Acme/docs/operations-manual/cygwin-icon.png

And the created files (when `C-c C-e d') are there:

- ~/Projects/Insurance/Acme/docs/operations-manual/Upload_documentation.tex
- ~/Upload_documentation.aux
- ~/Upload_documentation.idx
- ~/Upload_documentation.log
- ~/Upload_documentation.out
- ~/Upload_documentation.pdf
- ~/Upload_documentation.toc
- ~/procedure.png

So, the TeX file is correctly located, but the auxiliary ones not.

And TeX fails to produce the PDF with the following error:

LaTeX Warning: File `cygwin-icon.png' not found on input line 153.

! Package pdftex.def Error: File `cygwin-icon.png' not found.

Maybe it's completely related to the above problem?

Best regards and many thanks for your help,
  Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban