Re: [Orgmode] Re: contact management in org-mode?

From: Sebastian Rose
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: contact management in org-mode?
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 14:19:58 +0100

How about ...

Here is a first simple example file. It's not very elaborate and can be
done better. I just used the first functions I found in bbdb code, that
do what I need. In some cases it might be better to use `bbdb-search'
directly.

But it let's us insert bbdb: and mailto: links easily.

Basically, it works like this:

  1. C-c b s (org-bbdb/select-record) selects a record for use. You have
     to call this function to select a new record. If no record is
     selcted, the functions in (2.) call this automatically.

  2. Use the insertion functions:

     - C-c b n (org-bbdb/insert-name) inserts the name of the currently
       selected record at point. With prefix arg, inserts a bbdb:
       org-link.

     - C-c b m (org-bbdb/insert-mail) inserts the email address of the
       current record at point. With prefix arg, inserts a mailto:
       org-link.

     - C-c b m (org-bbdb/insert-phone) inserts the phone number of the
       current record at point. With prefix arg, inserts a dial:
       org-link - a link type, that is not yet defined. It's supposed to
       call `bbdb-dial-number' on activation. Just an idea...

     - C-c b a (org-bbdb/insert-address) inserts the postal address of
       the selected record at point. As the other functions, this is far
       from perfect...

  C-c b TAB (org-bbdb/complete-name) tries to complete a name at point
     and inserts an Org-link. The link is either a bbdb: link, or a
     mailto: link.  Depends on your setting of
     `org-bbdb-default-link-type'.
     This function does not yet select a new record.

Nice to have:

  We could add a function, that `narrows' to a set of bbdb records based
  on a certain field, e.g. city or note or custom field (e.g. `tag').

  We could then format that list and insert that into a buffer.
  Or write a mail to all those in the list by Bcc-ing them all.

Best wishes

   Sebastian