Re: [Orgmode] emacs for the mac -- best distribution/version

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] emacs for the mac -- best distribution/version
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 14:33:13 -0700

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello fellows orgers,
>
> After almost 5 years in a love-hate relationship with Linux and lately,
> Ubuntu (which I acknowledge, is a
> marvelous OS, and that has been getting greater with each release), I decided
> to go to the next level
> (read: Focus on web development/graphics design and forget about tweaking my
> OS for some time) and buy a
> Mac. There's no way I will ever use Windows again, except for selected games
> or eventual entertainment
> software that I'm not able to run on Mac or Linux, so, the logical decision
> was a Mac.
>
> Philosophies aside, orgmode and emacs have become keys pieces of my life, I
> have almost every aspect of my
> life recorded in text-files managed by orgmode. This won't change whatever OS
> I use. So I politely ask,
> what is the best emacs distribution for the Mac? I've heard carbon emacs is
> the logical choice, but some
> say Aquamacs is better. What I want is an emacs that up-to-date with current
> releases and that is as close
> as possible to the one I use on my Ubuntu box right now (emacs-snapshot-gtk
> 23.1.50.1), so, any
> suggestions/ideas are greatly appreciated :)

Hi Marcelo,

I've been building emacs from source on my Mac for years; when running
configure pass the "--with-ns" option and then after running "make
install" you will find an Emacs.app Mac application in your nextstep
directory.

I think this to be the best approach as (like you) I was coming to Mac
from linux and wanted an Emacs that was as similar as possible to *true*
linux Emacs.

also you might find the following helpful.
;; on mac apple is meta
(setq mac-command-modifier 'meta)
(setq mac-option-modifier 'super)

Best -- Eric