Re: [Orgmode] Release 6.33

From: Dan Davison
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Release 6.33
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 14:41:59 -0500

> On Nov 13, 2009, at 6:48 PM, Eric S Fraga wrote:
>
>> At Fri, 13 Nov 2009 09:51:11 +0100,
>> Carsten Dominik wrote:
>>>
>>> here are the Changes in the latest release 6.33.  Emacs 23.2, when it
>>
>> [...]
>>
>>> Speed commands at the start of a headline
>>> ==========================================
>>
>> Excellent addition!  This makes org-mode even /more/ usable on systems
>> with very small keyboards (like smartphones etc).  I'd been using
>> viper-mode to have single key movement in org-mode buffers but you've
>> not only made this possible but have completely exceeded my
>> requirements through all the extra commands available (clocking in,
>> etc.).  Fantastic!

Me too, this looks great. I think it's going to have me learning lots of
org commands that I hadn't got round to learning before. My first
questions:

n   outline-next-visible-heading
p   outline-previous-visible-heading
f   org-forward-same-level
b   org-backward-same-level

It would be nice if I could keep tapping these, safe in the knowledge
that I would remain within the world of speed-commands. However, they
can all 'fall off the edge' and start inserting characters. If that
behaviour is critical to org-mode when calling the functions directly,
is it nevertheless worth considering making the behaviour slightly
different for speed commands? I.e. e.g. make 'n' refuse to do anything
if there is no next visible heading. (I suppose that could be done with
new optional args to org-[f/b]-same-level (I don't know about
outline-[n/p]-visible-heading; would that be a suitable situation for
defadvice?))

Secondly, is it worth considering expanding the speed-command zone to
include any position in the leading asterisks (perhaps even in the TODO
keyword, seeing as this is non-default behaviour)?

Dan