Re: [Orgmode] LaTeX habits and org-mode

From: Scot Becker
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] LaTeX habits and org-mode
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 14:37:55 +0000

Emmanuel,

If the introduction LOOKs just like a normal chapter, then you just do:

* Introduction

In this paper I indend to once and for all solve the problem of [blaaa].

* Chapter One: The Problem
* Chapter Two: Lame Previous Attempts at a Solution
* Chapter Three:  Appproach it Like This
* Chapter Four: The Goods

In other words, if this section is a chapter unto itself, just give it its own top level heading.  What you then have to pay attention to is the way the org exports the LaTeX, which you do by adding a configuration to the org-export-latex-classes list, something like this:

(setq org-export-latex-classes '(("book" "\\documentclass[11pt]{book}\n\\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}\n\\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}\n\\usepackage{graphicx}\n\\usepackage{longtable}\n\\usepackage{hyperref}"
  ("\\chapter{%s}" . "\\chapter*{%s}")
  ("\\section{%s}" . "\\section*{%s}")
  ("\\subsection{%s}" . "\\subsection*{%s}")
  ("\\subsubsection{%s}" . "\\subsubsection*{%s}"))))

I'm not sure if this one is useful as it is, so you might want to look at other (better formatted) examples as well.  But the trick is just to tell org to assign first level headings to 'chapters'.

Now if you don't want your introduction chapter numbered, that's a slightly different problem, which I'm not sure I know how to solve.

Hope that gets you started.

Scot