Re: [Orgmode] LaTeX export of section links

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] LaTeX export of section links
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 16:18:41 +0100

On Nov 20, 2009, at 4:14 PM, Francesco Pizzolante wrote:

Hi Carsten,

* First
:PROPERTIES:
:CUSTOM_ID: heading-a
:END:

Hello Toto!

* Second
# <<heading-b>>

Hello Tata!

* Third
#+CUSTOM_ID: heading-c

Hello Titi!

* Fourth
#+ID: heading-d

Hello Tete!

[[heading-a]]
[[heading-b]]
[[heading-c]]
[[heading-d]]

Which give the following LaTeX code:

\section{First}
\label{sec-1}
\label{heading-a}

Hello Toto!

\section{Second}
\label{sec-2}
\label{heading-b}

Hello Tata!

\section{Third}
\label{sec-3}

Hello Titi!

\section{Fourth}
\label{sec-4}

Hello Tete!

\hyperref[sec-1]{heading-a}
\hyperref[sec-2]{heading-b}
\hyperref[sec-3]{heading-c}
\hyperref[sec-4]{heading-d}

The third and fourth cases are very elegant as they use only aliases (which
are dropped from the LaTeX code).

Third and forth are non-existent syntax in Org, these lines are just treated
as comments and are removed during export.

OK. But the information in these 2 comments is correctly used to replace the alias (heading-c and heading-d) with the label generated by org during the export. See the last 2 references in my example: these references are correct. They thus have been correctly processed from heading-c and heading-d to sec-3
and sec-4... these comments are thus not simply removed... right?

This is only by chance, because a simple text search does match these two lines. if you'd happen to have the string headline-a anywhere in the file, the link would point to the enclosing section.

In the case of the :CUSTOM_ID: property, the property is also used to convert the alias to the label (heading-a to sec-1) but additionally an extra label
(heading-a) is created and not used.

That's why, when creating references to sections I found the # +CUSTOM_ID very
elegant... But apparently I don't have to use such syntax...

Not if you want to have reliable links, no.

- Carsten

I wanted to know the recommended way of doing references...

Thanks a lot for your help.

Francesco

- Carsten