Re: [Orgmode] Re: Feature request: Periodic events based on count of spe

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Feature request: Periodic events based on count of specific weekdays
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 08:08:06 +0100

Hi Ben,

On Nov 20, 2009, at 11:56 PM, Ben Finney wrote:

extending the date format would be a significant amount of work. The
current time/date format is already complex to handle internally,
mainly because it was build not with a clean design but step by step.

I don't know anything about elisp. But isn't that an indication that it
might be time to re-work the design so it's easier to maintain?

Oh yes!  If I were to start over, I would definitely implement
the date/tim syntax in a way that is more easily expandable, and
that is parsed by a single function so changes would only affect
a small part of the code.  This is very desirable.

In fact, *many* parts in Org-mode could/should be rewritten from
scratch, in a much cleaner way.

Unfortunately it does not mean that this will get done, by me,
any time soon.  I could delve into the technical difficulties this
change would have, but maybe this is not if interest here.

My feeling is that date specifications like this are seldomly used,

I'm surprised at this assertion.

I have not formulated precisely enough here. I believe that everyone has
one or a few of these types of appointments.  What I mean is that it is
not a frequent task to have to set up one of these, compared to how
often you write down an appointment or a deadline.  I, for example,
set up many appointments per day, but second-tuesday-of-the-month
type events only once every half year or so.

Just about every club or social
organisation, etc., that I've heard of that meets monthly, does so by
meeting “on the second Tuesday of the month” or equivalent monthly
specification. It's surely not seldom in my experience.

It may be the case that not many *programs* implement this; but has that
ever been a reason to avoid mapping a real-world need into Org mode
before? :-)

:-) definitely not.

and as far as readability is concerned, for these few events you could
just (as suggested by Matt) write a note explaining what the entry
does.

Unfortunately, I can't see how to do that *and* have the rest of the Org
mode timestamp specification; I'm wanting to have all the current
features of Org timestamp specification plus day-of-week-based periodic
events.

You are right that you cannot get the full functionality of Org-mode
time stamps with diary-like ones.  However, the main restriction I see
is the special behavior of TODO entries which go through a repeat.

On the other hand, diary-sexp entries allow you to make arbitrarily
complex time stamps - any specific syntax would always be more limited.

For example, I can't see how to get an sexp timestamp to simultaneously
have a “second Tuesday of the month” period and a time-of-day
specification. I also can't see how to get these specifications to
display like other Org timestamps in agenda and other generated views.

* 13:00-15:00 Group meeting at the cafeteria
  First or third Wednesday of month from 1 to 3 in the afternoon
  <%%(or (diary-float t 3 1) (diary-float t 3 3))>

So, while I appreciate that the current timestamp parser design might
make implementation difficult, I don't think the current features of
either Org timestamp specification or sexp specification will meet this
goal. That's why I'm asking for this feature request.

The request is duly noted and in my list of possible tasks to
pick up, but I fear that the chances to get to it soon are slim.

- Carsten

I'm happy to discuss different specifications; the latest one I proposed
was for discussion, and I'm not wedded to it. Is there a different
syntax that would make parsing easier, while still adding the feature
I've described?

No, the syntax is easy to parse, but there are many different places
in Org which would have to learn to deal with these.

--
\ “I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them | `\ to do to their fellows, because it always coincides with their | _o__) own desires.” —Susan Brownell Anthony, 1896 |
Ben Finney