[Orgmode] Re: adding new protocol handler in firefox

From: Thierry Volpiatto
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: adding new protocol handler in firefox
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 23:39:08 +0100

Sebastian Rose <address@hidden> writes:

> [...]
> to remove the handlers, and add them again. I wanted to this, but it's
> not possible in FF 3.5 on Ubuntu without research, which I will postpone
> now in favor of finding a general solution.
>
> Since there were no complaints about the installation procedure on worg,
> I guess that it still is up to date for FF up to 3.5. At least it worked
> for me on Debian testing and Ubuntu, with different FF versions up to
> 3.5.
>

>> It isn't, of course, necessary to create a web page - you can use an
>> existing one with such a link - but it *is* necessary to click on a
>> link in a web page - selecting a bookmarklet no longer works in the
>> latest Firefox release, at least on Ubuntu 9.10 and on Mac OS X, and
>> probably elsewhere too.
>
> Is it?
> Well, there are two links for testing on worg:
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/org-protocol.php#test-org-protocol
>
> Could be more prominent I guess....
>

>> -- cut here --
>>
>> I guess I should create a patch to worg to include the above
>> instructions for newer versions of Firefox. Unless people think the
>> RDF editing method is better?
>
>>> Instead, we should link to descriptions on how install the handlers
>>> system wide.
>>
>> Nice idea, but unfortunately on Linux (as far as I know) there is no
>> standard way to do that.
>
> As for Mime types,
> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/shared-mime-info-spec?action=show&redirect=Standards%2Fshared-mime-info-spec
> states:
>
>    The specification is now quite stable and not expected to change in
>    incompatible ways. Integration with icon themes has not been
>    finalized (and is not currently part of the specification).
>
>     * ROX has used the system since ROX-Filer 1.3.3 (July 2002).
>     * GTK has support since version 2.4 (Mar 2004).
>     * GNOME uses the system since version 2.8 (Sep 2004).
>     * XFCE uses the system since version 4.2.0 (Jan 2005).
>     * KDE uses the system since version 4.0 (Jan 2007).
>     * LXDE has used the system since the initial release of PCManFM (2005).
>     * EDE uses the system since version 2.0-alpha (Apr 2009, but implemented
> in May 2007).
>

> Sounds general and standard enough. Hackers will help themselves (and
> hopefully publish the solution on this list or worg).
>
> Applications since years install themselves as handlers for certain Mime
> types (e.g. the annoying Adobe products - sorry, product. They did not
> manage to port more than the "Reader" to Linux yet). Something like this
> should be possible for protocols, too.
>
> What we need here is a general solution. The general solution, the
> Mozilla people are willing to go, obviously. And I guess the solution
> can be found at the X Desktop Group, e.g. on freedesktop.org, or simply
> by asking the Mozilla guys. Not sure yet how Mime relates to protocols,
> but I'm sure we will find a solution that works for 99% of GNU/Linux

I agree that the solution come from the mozilla side.
Waiting a change in firefox,
i start writing code to add protocol handler from emacs.
It work fine here now.
I need to write the uninstaller also.
Have a look at:

http://mercurial.intuxication.org/hg/emacs-bookmark-extension

It install protocol if it not already exists or modify it as needed if
it exists.

To test it, save your ~/.mozilla somewhere.
(Re)Start firefox to recreate a new directory.
Stop it.
Now launch:

M-x firefox-protocol-installer-install

Add the protocol name (e.g org-protocol) and the path of file linked to
protocol.

Start firefox, your protocol should be now in preferences-->applications