Re: [Orgmode] Beamer support in Org-mode

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Beamer support in Org-mode
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 17:47:22 +0100

On Nov 26, 2009, at 5:30 PM, Nick Dokos wrote:

Carsten Dominik <address@hidden> wrote:

this is in response to the discussions about beamer
export from Org-mode.  Yesterday I had a long train ride
during which I scanned the beamer documentation (smoking
hot stuff!).

Indeed - Till Tantau has a gift for documentation (among other
gifts). I'd recommend the documentation for pgf/tikz as well. Amazing.

Don't tell me he wrote pgf/tikz as well???

Unbelievable.

Then I made the attached draft
for Org-mode support, strongly based on the stuff
Eric Fraga has put together recently.  What is described
below sort-of works in some experimental code here, but before
I polish I would like comments on this outline.

NOW is the time to chime in.

Two questions (with apologies in advance: I've been buried for a while
now, so I may have missed important details):

o How do I test? Is there a beamer template for org-export-latex- classes
 that implements this spec? I just did a git pull but did not see one.

This is still crappy code on a local branch here, I want to figure out what
I/we actually want before publishing it.

o I didn't see anything about notes (in the beamer sense: speaker notes
 that don't appear in the slides, but do appear in the handout). For
 me, that is one of the most important aspects of beamer: the slides
 are there to remind me what to say (and hopefully to elicit the same
 memory in the audience, after the talk is finished). They provide the
 structure, but they are just a bunch of bones, a skeleton.  The notes
 are the meat of the presentation, so imho it would behoove Org to
 provide a mechanism for notes from the get-go.

Yes, I did not look at notes yet.  Good point.

Any succestions?  Subtrees with a B_note tag?

First need to try how notes actually work....

- Carsten

Thanks,
Nick

- Carsten