[Orgmode] Re: Beamer support in Org-mode

From: Sébastien Vauban
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Beamer support in Org-mode
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 18:53:01 +0100

Hi Carsten,

Carsten Dominik wrote:
> On Nov 26, 2009, at 3:01 PM, Sébastien Vauban wrote:
>> Carsten Dominik wrote:
>>> [...] before I polish I would like comments on this outline.
>>>
>>> 1 Organization
>>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>>
>>> 1.1 Sections
>>> =============
>>>
>>> By default, level one headlines become sections in the beamer
>>> document.  You can configure the variable org-beamer-frame-level
>>> to change this.  Setting it to three will make level 2 headlines
>>> become subsections.  For the rest of this document, I will assume
>>> that this variable has its default value 2.
>>
>> I was used to use Org level-1 headlines as the frame title... but I've never
>> resolved how to put sections in my beamer slides (via Org) -- though this
>> was
>> not that important yet for me, as I only converted slides made by others in
>> PowerPoint, and they don't have such sections (and TOC visible in the left
>> bar).
>>
>> Though, I find this way of structuring excellent: sound and logical. Plus it
>> is even customizable. What else would we want?  Nothing...
>>

>>> 1.3 Columns
>>> ============
>>> Headlines one below frames (level 3 by default) can be used start
>>> columns on a frame.  The presence of such a headline without a
>>> beamer tag (see below) will create the columns environment.  The
>>> text in the headline is ignored.  It is helpful to write
>>> "columns" in this headline anyway.
>>
>> Would *I* be asked about my true opinion, I would really object against this
>> one... Except that you say "can be used". So, I guess we're not forced.
>
> Of course *you* are asked.
>
> I am wondering:  What function do the headlines in your document
> under the frame level have?  How do you export them?  I guess
> you can't have them spit out subsection or so.  What you your
> class configuration?

That's what I tried to say above:

>> I was used to use Org level-1 headlines as the frame title... but I've
>> never resolved how to put sections in my beamer slides (via Org).

I currently couldn't have sections in my beamer presentation.

- The level-1 headlines are the frame titles.
- The level-2 headlines are the level-1 items of the slides.

My current configuration:

      (add-to-list 'org-export-latex-classes
                   '("beamer"
                     "\\documentclass[t]{beamer}
\\mode<{{{beamermode}}}>
{
\\usetheme{{{{beamertheme}}}}
}
\\usepackage[english]{babel}
\\usepackage[utf8x]{inputenc}
\\usepackage{times}
\\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\\usepackage{pgf}
\\institute{{{{beamerinstitute}}}}
\\subject{{{{beamersubject}}}}"
                     ("\\begin{frame}\\frametitle{%s}\\begin{itemize}"
                      "\\end{itemize}\\end{frame}"
                      "\\begin{frame}\\frametitle{%s}\\begin{itemize}"
"\\end{itemize}\\end{frame}")
                     ("\\item{%s}" . "\\item*{%s}")))

>> My main "problem" here is that I like the idea of being to convert back or
>> forward between Org documents and Org-beamer documents. Such headlines would
>> not mean anything for a "normal" Org document, as you already pointed out.
>>
>> Now, if this is not the default interpretation, it could be OK for
>> everybody.
>> We should show this in the example below:
>> - normal level-3 headlines (level-1 for Beamer) and
>> - "column" level-3 headlines.
>
> Yes, this would be useful.  Indeed, we should work on an extensive example
> once we have settled for a structure/format.  Which is not yet  the case.

I'll try to help on that, as much as I can.

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban