Re: [Orgmode] Re: Again on bookmarks

From: Samuel Wales
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Again on bookmarks
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 12:33:53 -0700

Hi Thierry,

On 2009-11-26, Thierry Volpiatto <address@hidden> wrote:
> See BookmarkExtension:
> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs/BookmarkExtension
>
> It support now nearly all:
> emacs-w3m bookmarks, Firefox bookmarks, Delicious bookmarks, Gnus
> bookmarks, Man pages etc...

The reason I like the idea of using org as the central store is that
it holds a lot of information, including annotations (headline body
text), subheadings, tags, properties, etc.  Possibly even
last-modified date of the web page and last-synced.  It can also be
subsetted using the agenda.

The idea would be that when you, say, save all Firefox tabs that are
currently open to a Firefox bookmark folder, you can export that whole
folder to org.  Then, you can add annotations, move the headlines
anywhere in the agenda files hierarchy, export from org to w3m or
Firefox or Safari (using the agenda to subset), and reimport back to
org without losing the annotations (new browser tabs (web pages) that
org does not know about yet end up in a special place in the org
hierarchy while existing ones sync with existing headlines).

Can the emacs bookmark mechanism serialize all that org data?  If not,
perhaps org would be a good place to store everything.

Maybe we have different ideas, which deserve different implementations?

Samuel

--
Q: How many CDC "scientists" does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: You only think it's dark. [CDC has denied ME/CFS for 25 years]