Re: [Orgmode] Bug: org-mobile "Bad file encoding" [6.33trans]

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Bug: org-mobile "Bad file encoding" [6.33trans]
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 08:01:23 +0000

At Thu, 26 Nov 2009 12:27:06 +0200,
Ben Alexander wrote:

> Well, the problem came back :-(

Sorry to hear that.  Annoying.

> Clearly there is some emacs magic going on here, because I thought of
> trying the £ symbol, but in another, smaller, file, and when I tried
> to save the file, I was told:
> These default coding systems were tried to encode text
> in the buffer `birthdays.org':
>   iso-8859-2-unix
> However, each of them encountered characters it couldn't encode:
>   iso-8859-2-unix cannot encode these: £

The £ symbol is available in 8859-1 but not -2 unfortunately.

> I thought the earlier emacs code specified utf-8 as the default coding
> system

I find the whole coding system in Emacs beyond comprehension, having
been fighting it for a long time now.  With respect to org, although
not necessarily for mobile org, I have solved all my problems by
putting the following line as the first line of every single org file
I have:

   # -*- coding: utf-8; -*-

(not indented)  All my problems have disappeared even though this is
not a recommended solution, from what I understand.

HTH.