Re: [Orgmode] Beamer support in Org-mode

From: Gray Calhoun
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Beamer support in Org-mode
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 12:03:52 -0600

Hi Carsten and all,

Beamer export sounds fantastic. I've been using org mode for this sort of thing a lot over the last year--all of my lecture notes are typed up as an org file, and I used org mode to draft slides for a presentation over the summer, so an automated process would be helpful.

But, I'm not sure that it makes sense to hardcode the frames as a level 2 headline (or any level headline); I find it easier to define a slide to be any headline that has no subheadings, regardless of its depth---the ability to outline the structure of a presentation as appropriate and then fill in the details (ie the slides) later is (imho) the reason to use org-mode for this sort of task in the first place. Columns, etc., could then be handled by using properties of the last headline, or as a special list.

This approach might also make it easier to export the same file to other formats (i.e. the existing html format). I imagine that this would be a little harder to program, though, and is just my two cents.

--Gray

Carsten Dominik wrote:
(snipped)
1.2 Frames
===========
Level 2 headline (or the level configured in
org-beamer-frame-level) become frames.  The headline text become
the frame title, but if no headline text is given, the frame gets
no title.  If the frame title contains the string "\\", the line
will be split at that location, and the second half become the
frame /subtitle/.
(snipped)

--
Gray Calhoun

Assistant Professor of Economics, Iowa State University
http://www.econ.iastate.edu/~gcalhoun/

467 Heady Hall
Ames, IA 50011
Phone: (515) 294-6271