[Orgmode] Re: beamer columns

From: Sébastien Vauban
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: beamer columns
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 22:14:26 +0100

Hi Thomas,

"Thomas S. Dye" wrote:
> Would it make sense to implement Beamer columns with Org-mode tables?

First of all, as this is the first time I write to you directly, let me thank
you for the resources you've put in this mailing list already around this
subject (Org and beamer) that excites me a lot, for the simple reason it's
just so natural to use Org for simple documents such as slides.

I've been interested a lot already by your past answers and contributions.

That being said, and trying to find counter-reasons on purpose, I would say it
maybe is not such a great idea, for the following reasons:

- different ways to organize contents; not easy to switch from a tree
  structure to a list of lists (of lists...) in a table, just because your
  boss wants to add a picture on the right of the slide;

- impossible (?) to add a table in a column, as we can't put a table in a
  table...

Though, I must admit the idea is still seducing as well: you directly see in
your buffer (more or less) how it will appear on your screen. Not an objective
per se, but better when it's there for free...

Another problem, maybe, is that long lines don't go so good in tables,
moreover the lines would certainly often be larger tan 80 characters (= my
standard) when there are 2 (or more) columns.

Though, I must as well admit I almost never never use columns in my own slides.
The only exception would be for a simple pro/cons comparison, or for putting a
graphic on one half and text on the other.

Best,
  Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban