Re: [Orgmode] Re: [babel] Executing sh-code

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: [babel] Executing sh-code
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 08:44:55 -0700

Hi Sébastien,

Sébastien Vauban <address@hidden> writes:

[...]
> Just for my information (maybe being able to be more accurate next time, or
> even finding a solution myself), how do you debug such a problem?
>
> With which debugger, with tracing/stepping?  With stack trace?

I'm almost embarrassed to admit that I do most of my elisp debugging
with the `message' function.  I embed `message' debug statements to
print the values of key variables at key points, and I run through
problems looking at the output.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone can recommend a better elisp
debugging solution.

> Let's assume the following Org file:
>
> #+begin_src sh :session "ecm"
> cd ~/Personal
> #+end_src
>
> #+begin_src sh :session "ecm"
> ls *.org
> #+end_src
>
> I C-c C-c the first snippet. Nothing special, except it doesn't hang anymore.
> So, it already looks much better.
>
> Second snippet. C-c C-c. There, it still hangs ;-((
>
> Though, C-x C-b shows me the contents of the "ecm" buffer:
>
> cd ~/Personal
>
> ~ % ~/Personal % ls *.org
> echo 'org_babel_sh_eoe'
> Bookmarks.org  Scorpios.org    Tickler.org
> Voice-over-IP.org*
> Home.org*      Succession.org  Using-startx-for-Remote-Display.org  refile.org
> ~/Personal % org_babel_sh_eoe
> ~/Personal %
>
> Looks closer to what it should...
>
> Still a little problem, though, as explained above.

So the fix here is to fix the value of the `comint-prompt-regexp'
variable in your shell.  Org-babel uses this variable to digest output
from the shell.  I have mine set with the following

(defun schulte/set-shell-prompt-regexp ()
  (setq comint-prompt-regexp "^\(.+\)"))
(add-hook 'shell-mode-hook 'schulte/set-shell-prompt-regexp)

You'll have to change the regexp ("^\(.+\)" in my example) to match your
prompt.  I was unable to create your prompt locally.  I find the
`regexp-builder' function to be very handy for these situations.  If you
are unable to build a working regexp please send me a string of your
prompt and I'd be happy to return an appropriate regexp.

on a related topic:

I've also noticed that org-babel has difficulty digesting shell output
when it is ansi-colorized.  I'm not sure what the best fix here would
be.  We could probably start piping all org-babel session results
through something like `ansi-color-filter-region' but that feels a
little bit too heavy.  I'd be interested to hear other peoples
thoughts/suggestions.

> BTW, what's the impact of specifying "sh" or "bash" for the snippet?

While "sh" blocks should work "bash" blocks will not be recognized.  In
org-babel "sh" doesn't explicitly mean the "sh" command, but rather
means 'run shell' which will default to whatever shell you have
configured.

Thanks -- Eric