Re: [Orgmode] [OT] Emacs for email?

From: Dan Davison
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] [OT] Emacs for email?
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2009 21:15:27 -0500

Keith Lancaster <address@hidden> writes:

> I apologize for the WAY off topic question, but since you folk are
> emacs experts....do you use emacs for email, and if so, what do you
> use? Org-mode caused me to switch to emacs after programming for 30
> years in other editors, and so like many emacs converts, I'm not
> wanting to exit the app :-).

Also gnus. It's very nice once it's working and it's fine to get it set
up if you're good at that sort of thing or have a few spare weeks. The
manual is extremely comprehensive and pretty funny but basically
horrifying. The summary buffer containing news/emails will look awful to
start off with but it is possible to make it look nice (e.g. the
wikipedia screenshot) by configuring gnus-summary-line-format and (if
not in a terminal) by using non-ascii arrow characters to represent
threads e.g.

  (setq gnus-sum-thread-tree-vertical        "│")
  (setq gnus-sum-thread-tree-leaf-with-other "├─► ")
  (setq gnus-sum-thread-tree-single-leaf     "╰─► "))

Dan