[Orgmode] Re: [babel] Executing sh-code

From: Sébastien Vauban
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: [babel] Executing sh-code
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 15:55:11 +0100

Hi Eric,

"Eric Schulte" wrote:
> Sébastien Vauban <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> What's the impact of specifying "sh" or "bash" for the snippet?
>
> While "sh" blocks should work "bash" blocks will not be recognized. In
> org-babel "sh" doesn't explicitly mean the "sh" command, but rather means
> 'run shell' which will default to whatever shell you have configured.

I wonder if it wouldn't be beneficial to make such a feature explicit. I think
the right shell environment cannot be guessed at runtime. Am I right?

Let's imagine two use cases:

1. I only have zsh on my machine, and I'm writing a document with bash code
   blocks. What if the user executing them is using zsh as his default shell?

2. I have both bash and zsh installed on my machine. I want to write some code
   blocks in bash, and other in zsh. How can I make the difference explicit?

BTW, a "needed" feature is the executable flag for shell scripts. I found a
reference to it ("PROPOSED make tangled files executable? At least if using
shebang line") on http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/development.php.

Thanks anyway for your marvelous tool (replacing my need for Nuweb, and giving
me much more opportunities),
  Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban