[Orgmode] Re: Beamer support in Org-mode

From: Christian Egli
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Beamer support in Org-mode
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 17:27:10 +0100

Hi Carsten

I've been using org-mode to create a few presentations and found it to
be extremely productive. I use different levels for parts (in the past),
sections and subsections. Beyond that I just use lists. I haven't used
blocks and columns (probably because it wasn't easily possible so far).

Also I use separate org files for all presentations.

See
http://www.daisy2009.de/files/presentations/itc/egli__daisy_producer.pdf,
http://liblouis.googlecode.com/files/liblouisSlides.pdf and
http://liblouis.googlecode.com/files/liblouisSlides.org for examples

Here's the relevant expert from my .emacs

 '(org-export-latex-classes (quote (("beamer" "\\documentclass[]{beamer}
\\usetheme{Frankfurt}
\\usepackage{multimedia}
\\usepackage[english]{babel}
\\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
\\usepackage{hyperref}" ("\\section{%s}" . "\\section{%s}") ("\\subsection{%s}"
. "\\subsection{%s}") ("\\begin{frame}{%s}" "\\end{frame}" "\\begin{frame}{%s}"
"\\end{frame}")))))

> 1. Don't automatically use a specific headline level to create the
> columns
>    environment - at least make that configurable.

Generally I like the idea of using the levels as an indication for
beamer. However this needs to be configurable, as I have also used parts
in the past for example.

> 2. Make beamer export force org-export-headline-levels equal org-
> beamer-frame-level,
>    so that headlines below the frame level automatically become itemize
>    levels, unless modified by tags or properties.

I don't really care about that too much (in fact I think it just
introduces confusion). I just always used lists for bullet points.

> 3. Use meta data to make headlines special, instead of mixing this
>    stuff into the.  I first thought this is too hard - but maybe it is
>    OK when edited with column view?  Hmm, I am only half-sold on this
> - properties
>    are so hard to see when you need them frequently during editing.

This sounds reasonable, as I usually create an outline of the ideas
first and from that create a presentation. Later I might reuse it for a
paper, so I don't really want it to be interspersed with layout
information.

> Thomas asked for the possibility to export a subtree as a
> presentation, with *relative* levels determining functionality.  This
> should be easy - when selection a subtree with `C-c @' and then
> exporting,
> relative levels are already being used now, for any kind of export.

I don't have a need for that as I use separate files for each
presentation.

Another thing that I tried to use was alerts (and colors) in bullet
points. I seem to remember that it didn't work. I should try again. It
appears that Eric managed to get them to work.

Thanks
Christian