Re: [Orgmode] Re: [babel] Executing sh-code

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: [babel] Executing sh-code
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 09:06:42 -0700

Hi Sébastien,

Sébastien Vauban <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Eric,
>
> "Eric Schulte" wrote:

[...]

>> Yes, I agree that this should be implemented, patches are welcome :)
>
> I can imagine. My skills are still maybe a bit low to be productive in that
> area. But I really would like to help. Second problem is -- and that must be
> the same for everybody (you included) -- a deep lack of time, with real work
> for real clients to be done during day, and little daughter to be taken care
> of for (almost all) the rest of the time.

Yes, lack of sufficient time is very much my limiting factor as well.
I'm looking forward to an extended Christmas break -- after finals --
when I should be able to start to catch up with these accumulating
development tasks.

> That's not an excuse. If I get time, I'll try to...

Please don't let my flippant reply above make you feel obligated to
learn elisp.  I really do enjoy performing this development myself when
I have time.

>> Thanks for the very useful feedback, hopefully we'll be able to make
>> some progress in these areas soon.
>
> For the time I can now spend on Org-mode, I am making a document that uses
> (part of) all the power of Org-babel. My intention is to share my result to
> all of you, when it gets finished. That way, maybe I'll get feedback and
> improvements as well on it...
>
> It will be helpful for both Org-babel'ers (as an example) and for others as
> well, for automating the creation of reports about... sshhht. Will tell when
> it's done.
>
> The plan is to use the best of what you give to us, including tables, shell
> scripts and R plots.

I'm intrigued.  Tom Dye has been good enough to start an
org-babel-uses.org file demonstrating some example uses of org-babel.
It is currently available in the Worg git repository at

org-contrib/babel/org-babel-uses.org

however for some reason it isn't surviving the html publication process.
Most likely this is due to the baroque combination of interacting
source-code blocks lurking in the file.

I look forward to your unveiling! -- Eric