[Orgmode] Re: org-mode, grep and folding issue

From: Matt Lundin
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: org-mode, grep and folding issue
Date: Sat, 05 Dec 2009 13:34:11 -0500

Doug Hellmann <address@hidden> writes:

> On Dec 5, 2009, at 10:22 AM, Good Bad wrote:
>
>> My notes are scattered across various org files. So I use grep
>> (usually M-x lgrep and M-x rgrep) to search my notes. When I click
>> one of the grep results (in the *grep* buffer), it leads to where
>> the match is, but often the corresponding line is hidden because it
>> is inside a folded heading in an org file. In that case, I need to
>> press <S-tab> (org-shifttab) to cycle through global visibility
>> levels to start editing the line. Is there a way to not have to
>> press <S-tab>?
>
> If all of the files are being added to your agenda, you can search
> with "C-c a s <regex>" and the agenda view will show your results.

I'd also recommend the agenda's multi-occur search ("C-c a /"), which
displays all matching lines in the agenda and reveals them properly when
you press return.

In short, use "C-c a s" when you want to see all headlines containing a
word/regexp. Use "C-c a /" when you want to see the matching lines in
the results.

- Matt