Re: [Orgmode] Customizing how inactive timestamps are displayed

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Customizing how inactive timestamps are displayed
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 08:56:56 +0100

On Dec 15, 2009, at 10:57 PM, Nicolas Girard wrote:

2009/12/14 Carsten Dominik <address@hidden>:

On Dec 10, 2009, at 11:34 PM, Nicolas Girard wrote:

Hi again,
in the agenda view, inactive timestamps are displayed like:

 category: 12:50...... [ Some stuff

Is the '[ ' intentional, or is caused by a bug in my configuration ?
I find it a little bit disturbing, as my eyes keep looking for an
hypothetic closing ']'...

This is intentional, as an indication that this is indeed an
inactive time stamp.  While I can see that you might be
looking for the closing bracket, I also think that this is a
quite natural way to mark inactive time stamps.  Sure, I *could* make
this marker string a variable - what would you propose as better
options?

Hi Carsten,

my personal taste would be some kind of horizontal sign, because it
would look closer to what I'd have drawn myself using pen & paper,
answering my own question "hey, what did I do today ?" (French people
tend to use dashes when writing lists).

That said, I'm using the free Inconsolata [*] font as my main font in
emacs, which offers a rich collection of various geometric shapes &
symbols. So, at no extra cost, I can enhance the aspect of my Org
buffers.

Attached is a little example to demonstrate what can be done. To get
this result:
1. I had to redefine org-agenda-format-date-aligned so that I can
replace the hardcoded lines surrounding dates with better looking ones
2. I used the "Watch" unicode character to represent scheduled events:
   (setq org-agenda-scheduled-leaders '("⌚ " "⌚ "))
3. I replaced the hardcoded '[' character denoting inactive timestamps
with a white triangle

See ? Who said Org couldn't be sexier ?

[*] http://www.levien.com/type/myfonts/inconsolata.html

That *does* look nice!

Please pull and use `org-agenda-inactive-leader'

- Carsten

--
Nicolas