Re: [Orgmode] Beamer support in Org-mode

From: Adam Spiers
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Beamer support in Org-mode
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 11:06:07 +0000

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 04:49:23PM -0300, Darlan Cavalcante Moreira wrote:
> In addition, while I also agree that footnotes shouldn't be in a presentation
> they are allowed when working with beamer and may be useful in some cases. If
> org-mode export footnotes as beamer notes then some months from now someone
> would be asking here in the mailing-list how to enter a standard footnote when
> exporting to beamer.

I agree - unfortunately there are genuinely sensible uses of footnotes
in presentations.  For example, citation of sources for quotations,
data etc. is ideally accomplished by footnotes: they are not used
during the presentation itself, but by distributing paper and/or
electronic copies after the talk, footnotes provide essential
reference data for perusal by the audience at a later date.

Imagine a slide showing the results of a benchmark, claiming "X is
much faster than Y!"  You might want to talk briefly about how the
results were obtained, and about the impact of the results, but you
would also need to be able to tell the audience they could
independently verify the results by obtaining a copy of the slides and
visiting the URL contained in the footnote - especially if the results
are controversial!  In this case, it would not matter that the URL was
too small to be legible from the back of the room.