Re: [Orgmode] Re: OrgmodeWiki Support

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: OrgmodeWiki Support
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 16:59:22 +0100

On Dec 18, 2009, at 3:19 PM, Adam Spiers wrote:

On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 01:15:59PM +0100, Carsten Dominik wrote:
On Dec 18, 2009, at 12:28 PM, Adam Spiers wrote:
I would *love* to see auto-linking of WikiWords as a customisable
option. I'm not sure if anyone's looked at supporting WikiWords yet.

Where should the link go?  To a file WikiWord.org?  Or doing an
etags search?

To a file WikiWord.org would cater for the majority of my needs.
Would be even cooler if you could specify a list of directories as a
search path, where each directory was either absolute or relative to
the current file!

Maybe others could make use of an etags option too; I'm not sure.  I
guess you might then need a custom function to translate the WikiWord
into a tag to lookup, since a lot of tags are not CamelCase.

I think it would be useful to discuss this proposal first in a broader sense.
Let me try to make a start.

A few days ago, Paul Sexton submitted his proposal for simple
file-to-file links based on etags.

He wanted to make [[sometext]] be a link to <<sometext>> where
the target definition <<sometext>> can be in a different file.
Furthermore, his proposal uses an external program to do the
indexing of the tags, and following the links uses the etags
code shipped with Emacs.

Finally, Paul's proposal also contains a way to automatically
create new topics when a link is called that does not yet have
a target.

Now we are talking about WikiWords, or CamelCase links.  Here the
idea is that any such mixed-case word automatically is treated as a link.
Traditionally these links to a separate file with name given by the
link text directly.  But I suppose it could also got to a <<target>>
somewhere in a file?

For a couple of reasons it seems to me that it would be useful
to look at these proposals together.  For one thing, I am not
a huge fan of the zillions of files that will be created when using
the one-file-per-word approach.  Since Org-mode is outline based, it
seem to make a lot of sense to have many topics per file.

One way to move into this direction would be to still use etags
to index the possible targets, and then to turn specific words
(like CamelCase words) directly into links without the need to
surround them with [[...]].

But of course, we could also have an implementation as Adam
proposes it, with CamelCase words linking to files, and
then [[target]] linking to targets.

Can we discuss this for a bit?

- Carsten