Re: [Orgmode] Best way to use org-mode as a work log

From: Ethan Brown
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Best way to use org-mode as a work log
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 11:41:25 -0800

On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 8:51 AM, Rick Moynihan <address@hidden> wrote:
> 2009/12/19 Ethan Brown <address@hidden>:
>> I've been an emacs user since about 1990, but have just recently
>> discovered org-mode.  It seems as if it would be very well suited to
>> use as my work log--I currently just use a regular text file.
>>
>> Since a work log is based around daily entries, I'm wondering if
>> anyone can recommend the best way to use org-mode for such a purpose.
>> I perused the FAQs but didn't see anything.  Org-mode apparently
>> integrates with the emacs calendar/diary so there is probably a "right
>> way" to do this.  If there's a FM out there that deals with this I'm
>> happy to RTFM.
>
> I have a very simple method of using org-mode for this kind of thing.
> I have the following remember template:
>
> (setq org-remember-templates
>      '(("Journal" ?j "* %^{Journal Entry} %^g\n  %T\n %i\n %? %a %&"
>         "~/org/journal.org" "Journal"))
>  ;; ...
> )
>
> Then doing C-c r [j]ournal inserts an entry into my journal.org file
> under the Journal Heading.  This file is then just a big linear list
> of headlines with notes under them.
>
> e.g.
>
> * Journal
> ** ...
> ** Emailed org-mode list with my journal setup
>   <2009-12-20 Sun 16:48>
>
> I sometimes tag these entries also.... but generally avoid using them
> with TODO/DONE states.
>
> Is this the kind of thing you're looking for?
>

> R.

Thanks Rick.  I was playing around with something like this earlier
today.  Unfortunately, I'm getting an error when I run
M-x org-remember  ("org-remember: Wrong type argument: commandp,
remember").  But fortunately, I'm getting the same error with your
expression, so I know the problem isn't my expression syntax :-/   But
I'll work through it.  Than you very much for your suggestion.

--Ethan