Re: [Orgmode] Beamer support in Org-mode

From: Thomas S. Dye
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Beamer support in Org-mode
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 05:50:26 -1000

Aloha Carsten,

I've had a chance to look at your first draft of beamer support. You've done a terrific job. So much of the draft is right that it helps to focus thoughts on the parts that are candidates for discussion and possible change.

Along those lines, I don't think using headlines for \begin{columns} ... \end{columns} works very well. I think headlines should be reserved for sectioning, frames, elements of frames (blocks and friends), and notes. Once a headline level has been designated for frames (n), then headline n+1 becomes an element of the frame, and headline n+2 becomes notes for the frame (following Daniel Martins' lead).

To my mind, columns are attributes of a frame, so they might better be handled as a property of the frame. Frame elements are specifically assigned to a column, or not, using a property.

Roughly, this would yield the following syntax, which ought to export fairly cleanly with the HTML and LaTeX exporters.

#+BEAMER_FRAME_LEVEL 2

* Section 1
** Frame 1
        :PROPERTIES:
        :FRAME_COLS: 2
        :END:
*** Element 1   :block:
        :PROPERTIES:
        :IN_COL: 1
        :END:
        - Item 1
        - Item 2
**** Notes about Element 1 block
        - Keyed to Item 1
        - Keyed to Item 2
*** Element 2   :block:
        :PROPERTIES:
        :IN_COL: 2
        :END:
        - Item 3
        - Item 4
*** Element 3
This element spans two columns. The headline doesn't appear on the slide. *** Element 4 (headline doesn't appear on the slide because not a block or friend)
        :PROPERTIES:
        :IN_COL: 1
        :END:
        - Item 5
        - Item 6
** Frame 2
 *** Element 1
        - Item 1
        - Item 2
  **** Notes
        - Note for item 1
        - Note for item 2

Thanks again for drafting what should be a very useful addition to the already insanely useful org-mode.

HTH,
Tom