Re: [Orgmode] Selective Export Question

From: Thomas S. Dye
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Selective Export Question
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2009 09:10:43 -1000

Merry Christmas Mark,

One way to create two LaTeX documents in the same org file using common elements and keeping fine control over the LaTeX output is to use Org-babel.

Here's an example from the Uses section of the Org-babel documentation on Worg:

** Example

*** TODO Your name
    - Enter your full name on the open line below.
#+srcname: your-name
#+begin_src latex
Tom Dye
#+end_src

*** TODO Your email address
    - Enter your email address on the open line below.
#+srcname: your-email
#+begin_src latex
tsd at tsdye dot com
#+end_src

*** No data entry below this line
    - The two source blocks here each produce a LaTeX document after
      they are tangled with a call to =org-babel-tangle=.

#+begin_src latex :noweb :tangle dist-form.tex
  \documentclass[12pt]{article}
  \begin{document}
  \section{Distribution Form}
  \begin{description}
  \item[Name] <<your-name>>
  \item[Email] <<your-email>>
  \end{description}
  \end{document}
#+end_src

#+begin_src latex :noweb :tangle file-form.tex
  \documentclass[10pt]{article}
  \begin{document}
  \section{File Form}
  <<your-name>> can be reached at <<your-email>>.
  \end{document}
#+end_src

To my mind, using Org-babel this way is kind of like using the Org-mode Agenda.  It frees the organization of your org file from the organization of some external model, leaving you to organize it in the way that makes the most sense to you.

That said, I'm relatively confident that there is some way to do what you want in Org-mode using the built-in LaTeX exporter, but I don't know what it might be.

All the best,
Tom