Re: [Orgmode] Re: Date calculations

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Date calculations
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2010 11:32:20 +0100

On Dec 30, 2009, at 9:37 PM, Memnon Anon wrote:

can you point out exactly where in the documentation this is located?

,----[ (info "(org)Weekly/daily agenda") ]
|      * Birthdays and similar stuff
|      #+CATEGORY: Holiday
|      %%(org-calendar-holiday)   ; special function for holiday names
|      #+CATEGORY: Ann
|      %%(diary-anniversary 14  5 1956) Arthur Dent is %d years old
| %%(diary-anniversary 2 10 1869) Mahatma Gandhi would be %d years old
`----

These examples suggest D-M-Y, which only seems to work with the calendar
set to european style. Maybe, it would be better to change the example
to M-D-Y (I think it is more common?) and add a footnote that provides
the info that the date format is depending on calendar-date-style?

The next paragraph (Anniversaries from BBDB) on the other hand states a
fixed order.
Basically, you need to press `C-o anniversary <RET>' with the cursor in
a BBDB record and then add the date in the format `YYYY-MM-DD',
[...]
   1973-06-22
   1955-08-02 wedding
   2008-04-14 %s released version 6.01 of org-mode, %d years ago

So, if I understand it correctly, org-bbdb settled on iso format,
diary-anniversary uses either american or european style depending on
calendar-date-style.

Thats somehow inconsistent, isn't it?

Hi Memnon,

Org-mode consistently uses ISO format, I believe. I chose it precisely in order to make sure there could be no misunderstanding in what these dates mean.

I cannot change the behavior of the calendar functions....

- Carsten