[Orgmode] Re: New beamer support

From: Sébastien Vauban
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: New beamer support
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2010 09:41:29 +0100

Hi Carsten,

Carsten Dominik wrote:
> On Jan 6, 2010, at 5:22 PM, Sébastien Vauban wrote:
>> Carsten Dominik wrote:
>>> there is now a new option org-beamer-frame-default-options
>>
>> When setting it into Emacs, great, it DOES WORK as expected!
>>
>> Though, I believe this is more a setting of the document itself, instead of
>> one customization in my own `.emacs' file.
>>
>> I would rather like my colleagues to get the same output when compiling my
>> document. I tried, then, the following:

>> * COMMENT Setup
>>
>> # This is for the sake of Emacs.
>> # Local Variables:
>> # ispell-local-dictionary: "en_US"
>> # org-beamer-frame-default-options: "[allowframebreaks]"
>> # End:
>>
>> with no success, though.
>>
>> Maybe I would have to try with a `#+BIND'.
>
> #+BIND will do the trick, it was made just for this.

#+BIND: org-beamer-frame-default-options "[allowframebreaks]"

does work.

>> Though, wouldn't it be better to
>> explicitly add something like:

>> #+BEAMER_FRAME_EXTRA_OPTIONS: [allowframebreaks]
>
> Yes, that would make sense if it is a frequently used feature.
> I like to hesitate with introducing these special customizations
> until I am convinced that this is used reasonably often.  Otherwise
> I would have to have 1000 of the special lines, approximately.
>
> Question to all:  How likely is the use of a default option you'd
> want to have on *every* frame?

The problem is similar to the `fragile' option. Either we can detect the
"overflow" (and the automatically add the option only when needed), or we must
add it everywhere in order to ensure we won't have text cut.

It's a bit different from when we directly edit beamer files. We compile often
and we see the problem appearing.

Here, with Org, we would just work in Org only, and publish once at the end. A
bit more easy to be aware that some text may have pass away.

As #+BIND works, I can imagine living quite honestly the way it currently is,
but I let the others decide upon this.

Best regards,
  Seb

--