Re: [Orgmode] [beamer &/or latex export] problem with old style footnote

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] [beamer &/or latex export] problem with old style footnotes
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2010 19:27:04 +0000

At Fri, 8 Jan 2010 17:47:06 +0100,
Carsten Dominik wrote:

> Hi Eric,
>
> On Jan 7, 2010, at 12:47 AM, Eric S Fraga wrote:
>
> > Carsten,
> >
> > In latex, I often use a simple \begin{itemize} with labelled items,
> > as in
> >
> > \begin{itemize}
> > \item [3] This will be labelled with 3 instead of a bullet
> > \item [$\checkmark$] This will have a checkmark in lieu of the bullet
> > \end{itemize}
> >
> > In org-mode, with beamer mode, I can do this except for the cases
> > where the replacement text is just a number as org-mode seems to treat
> > this as a footnote.  I have fninline set in the startup as well as
> > org-footnote-define-inline set to t globally but the export still
> > treats these old style footnotes as footnotes.
>

> Hmm, this is not an easy thing.  The syntax you are using is entirely
> LaTeX specific, so it will fail in other export backends.
> Therefore I am hesitating to put this in as a standard feature.

That makes sense... I have such a latex centric view at times (both
because of lecture preparations and writing academic papers) that I
forget about other export targets!  <blush>

> If you want to have this, you could do the following.  It installs

[...]

> Hope that does what you need.

Actually, just yesterday I found that simply adding a space to the
bracketed entry, such as "[ 2]", solves the problem for org-mode and
doesn't affect the latex at all.

Thanks,
eric