[Orgmode] Re: Orgmode + other modes for outlining and studying.

From: Sébastien Vauban
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Orgmode + other modes for outlining and studying.
Date: Sat, 09 Jan 2010 21:38:03 +0100

Hi Thomas and Marcelo,

>>> Everytime I need to study some unknown code, I create a new org file, put a
>>> * Code headline, paste the code in there and start making notes below or
>>> in the code (as comments). It is extremelly fast and efficient to do
>>> something
>>> like that, things just flow.
>>>
>>> What I'd like to know is if there's a way to have, for example, orgmode +
>>> javascript-mode, so that I can get syntax-highlighting/coloring on the
>>> pasted javascript code. I've tried with javascript mode, but since it is a
>>> major mode, it just kills org and all its goodies, and I don't want that.
>>>
>>> Is there a way to have two major modes at the same time, such as org +
>>> js-mode?
>>
>> Are you aware of Org-babel's SRC blocks?
>>
>> #+BEGIN_SRC java
>> bla bla
>> #+END_SRC
>>
>> And, to work on that source block, just hit C-c C-c when point is in the
>> block.
>
> Currently, java isn't on the list of Org-babel supported languages, so I
> don't know if Seb's solution will work out of the box.

Did not know that. Not using it myself.

> Org-babel has a facility for adding new language support. A java addition
> would be great. Seb, if you have this working could you share your approach?

Yes, you can easily add new languages. I did that for AWK:

;; Org-babel needs to be told to recognize awk source code blocks and
;; how they should be tangled, which can be accomplished with the
;; following:
(org-babel-add-interpreter "awk")
(add-to-list 'org-babel-tangle-langs '("awk" "awk"))

I guess replacing awk by java would make it. Untested, though, as I don't use
it.

> I agree with Seb that Org-babel is useful in the situation that Marcelo
> describes. I use it this way myself with python. Comments are distinguished
> from code very cleanly. In effect, you end up with a literate program.

I guess this is the best thing to do, yes. Thanks for your comment (and
support), Thomas!

Best regards,
  Seb

--