[Orgmode] Re: Tips on maintaining a knowledge-base ?

From: Memnon Anon
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Tips on maintaining a knowledge-base ?
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2010 22:58:23 +0000 (UTC)

Hi,

address@hidden writes:

> I was wondering if anyone uses org-mode for this kind of use, and
> would really be interested in reading how you maintain such a system.
> I'm especially interested in methods that relate to structuring and
> 'querying' the knowledge base, since it's of no use if information
> can't be found easily.

I have a similar file; it started as a place to collect interesting
bookmarks in and is naturally named bookmarks.org.
Step by step, it evolved to be my location for all kinds of information
- not only from the interwebs - that I want to keep.

For me, the outline is enough to maintain the structure.
I have some level 1 headings loosely related to my interests, like

* University
* Latin
* Emacs
** Org
** Gnus
* Quotes
* Unsorted (yet)

etc. The last heading is my default inbox for everything new.
I let stuff linger there for a while to make my mind up if it is really
worth keeping. Whenever I have some time left (or too much accumulated
there), I sort them in my Level 1's or delete them if they are not that
important on a second glance.

Up to now, I had no trouble finding anything, either looking into the
appropiate heading or just using C-s. Its all just text ;).
So no tags or properties needed so far, but most items are not related
to each other, so I have no use for heavily linking, yet.

Nice thread, I am interested what others will say.