[Orgmode] how to unschedule a task in agenda view?

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: [Orgmode] how to unschedule a task in agenda view?
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 11:26:33 +0000

Hello,

the short question is: how can I easily unschedule a task when in the
agenda view?  C-c C-s allows me to re-schedule (as do shifted arrow
keys) but sometimes I simply want to remove the schedule entry for the
item.

(only read the following if you wish to know about my GTD approach)

The longer motivating reason for wanting this is that the need arises
from how I handle my list of todo items.  In my default TODO sequence,
one of the entries is WAITING (aka delegated to somebody else, the one
benefit of having a team of people working for me ;-).  When I switch
a todo item to this state from TODO or INPROGRESS, where I had
scheduled the activity for some date (usually the current date), I
would like to unschedule it.  The activity is now somebody else's
responsibility for the time being so I don't want to have it visible!
(I may still have a deadline attached to it, of course).

John Wiegley's tutorial (which is excellent!) addresses the issue of
delegation by scheduling the task for himself to remind him to ping
the person responsible for the task now.  I could do this (and do do
this sometimes) but I would rather not in general.

I've gone through the manual, the mailing list and the other tutorials
but have missed any easy solution to this.  Obviously, I can simply
visit the item in the org file and delete the schedule entry but I'm
always loathe to leave the agenda view if I don't have to!

Ideally, it would be nice if one could attach actions (beyond logbook
recording) to todo state changes, actions like "unschedule this item
when switching to WAITING state" and I'm sure there are others...  but
having this capability is not critical of course.

Thanks,
eric