Re: [Orgmode] Smart(er) word wrapping with org-mode and visual-line-mode

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Smart(er) word wrapping with org-mode and visual-line-mode
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 08:25:13 +0100

On Jan 10, 2010, at 8:09 PM, Martin Pohlack wrote:

Hi Carsten and Matthew,

On 08.01.2010 18:24, Carsten Dominik wrote:
On Jan 6, 2010, at 4:25 PM, Martin Pohlack wrote:
I just tried this out (only for headlines up to now) and it seems to
work great.

Are there any plans to integrate something like this into upstream?
Especially the wrapping of headlines would enable extensive tag usage.

I have been thinking about that, but not arrived at a conclusion. One thing is the interaction with org-indent-mode. That mode already does
the wrapping for headlines correctly by adding `wrap-prefix', and it
will look really good if you set the variable word-wrap to t.

Ah, I wasn't aware of that.  I think the documentation to org-indent
doesn't mention wrapping (14.6 A cleaner outline view).  How about
something like this:

 org-indent-mode also sets the wrap-prefix property, such that
 visual-line-mode (or purely setting word-wrap) wraps long lines
 (including headlines) correctly indented.

I have added this, thank you very much for not only asking
for improvement but actually formulating the sentence and
pointing out where it should go.

[...]'m using Matthew's module right now for two reasons.

* I had some trouble configuring org-indent-mode to only handle
 line-wrapping for headlines, i.e., it shall only set wrap-prefix and
 do nothing else.  It always wanted to indent my headlines and body
 texts additionally.  Is this possible?

Not yet. One way would be to make setting org-indent-indentation-per- level
to 0, but that currently does not work.

* Also, emacs segfaulted deterministically after globally collapsing
 all trees with org-indent-mode active.  I have to look into this ...

Cheers,
Martin

- Carsten