Re: [Orgmode] Timeline View Ouput for a Project

From: Russell Adams
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Timeline View Ouput for a Project
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 07:24:15 -0600

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 01:36:24AM -0600, Xiaolong Tang wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am in the case of keep tracking of my development on a project in org-mode.
> Suppose that I have a project called "lambda". Preferably I set up a file
> "lambda.org" for this project.

I use Org to execute every one of my professional projects. Outside of
two files I use for my Agenda and as a Remember target, every project
gets its own file just like that. Most of my projects are fairly short
and get closed up completely and archived.

> Each day I may push more TODO lists into the project while making
> some progress on those TODO lists set up before (All of the TODO
> lists are with the same tag, for example, "lambda"). In order to
> report my performance, each time I start to work on the project, I
> check in by "C-c C-x C-i", namely, clock-in, and check out by "C-c
> C-x C-o", namely, clock-out. So far so good with the org-mode.

Another item you may consider is that while you are working, you may
not close anything immediately. Each time I switch tasks in the Org
tree or come back to my computer I insert an inactive timestamp into
my file. Suddenly, it's a timestamped project journal!

You can use C-u C-c . , or I posted a piece of elisp a while back that
binds that to F9.

> Next, I expect to have the per day report of the project in terms of the
> items and the daily time length I spend on these times. In my mind, the view
> looks like something as below:
>
> Monday     11 January 2010
>   Scheduled [Headline]
>   TODO [Headline]   [Time Length]                                 :@lambda::
>   TODO [Headline]   [Time Length]                                 :@lambda::
> Tuesday    12 January 2010
>   Scheduled [Headline]
>   TODO [Headline]   [Time Length]                                 :@lambda::
>   TODO [Headline]   [Time Length]                                 :@lambda::
>
> The timeline view of a single org file does not fit, and neither
> does the agenda view with clock report. So, I am wondering how I can
> achieve to have the daily report on a project. If my mental model on
> a project tracking does not make much sense, is there any
> suggestions or advices for using Org-mode to keep track of the
> development of a project?

The view I use is the logbook mode in Agenda.

Given my file is composed of todo's with lots of inactive timestamps
and the occasional logged todo state change there is plenty to view.

Load agenda, and press L for logbook. You can adjust the duration
covered by the view (day/week/month), and by default the inactive
timestamps are not shown. Use '[' to enable the display of the
inactive timestamps.

The output will be very similar to what you're asking for. In fact, it
may be identical. You'll see task by day & time, with status and
duration clocked.

When I have finished a project, I will frequently mail my customer the
project notes exported to HTML and include an html export of the
logbook so they can see what was done when, and to justify the hours.

Good luck!

Russell Adams                            address@hidden