Re: [Orgmode] org-babel: Managing a bibtex database

From: Torsten Wagner
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] org-babel: Managing a bibtex database
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 17:00:49 +0900

Hi again,

I just rethought my idea. I think even if there is no full automatic link
function, it would be nice to see bibtex as a org-babel mode.

My worse case scenario is as follow:
Someone ask me to send the reference X or a bunch of references Y to someone
in plain-text (mostly they like to copy them over in MS-word).

The actual procedure:
For the moment, I have to write a "fake" LaTeX document, and force bibtex to
place all the given bibtex-keys into the references list of this document even
if not really refered to it in the text. I guess I could also copy all the
bibtex entires of the desired references in a singel bib-file and run bibtex
manualy. But I'm doubt whether this is really faster. After that I need to
copy the results from the PDF or PS file to plain text email. Wrong line breaks
and format loose are the results.

The org-mode babel approach would be:
I would prefer two ways in a bibtex-babel set-up.
1. Take the bibtex-entires from a given database (bib-file) according to the
given bibtex-keys inside the source code block. Process them by the given
bibtex-style and place the result in the result section of org-babel.

2. Add full bibtex entries directly to the source code block and process them
according to the given bibtex style. Place the result in the result section of
org-babel.

The idea to extend the link function of org-mode by linking to a bibtex-
database might be the next step.

Best regards

Torsten