[Orgmode] Re: org-babel and emacs init

From: Richard Riley
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: org-babel and emacs init
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 20:42:24 +0100

"Eric Schulte" <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Richard,
>
> Richard Riley <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> What approach have you taken to loading multiple files using the
>> org-babel method?
>>
>> The example on the babel page searches out all org files and then
>> untangles the elisp snippets and rewrites files with a .el extensions
>>
>> But how to order  this or how best to load /decode/execute at run time
>> in say an autoload or eval after load? Simply call org-babel-load-file
>> instead of require?
>>

> Currently the only option is `org-babel-load-file'.  Off the top of my
> head I don't see why an analogous `org-babel-require' function would not
> work, and it seems that it would satisfy this need for conditional
>

>> e.g say I wanted to keep my (typically large) .gnus.el file as an org
>> file. How best to deal with that? Currently I have an eval after load
>> with all the code in that used to be in my .gnus.el in my
>> emacs-init.org. Other approaches?
>>

> again, maybe using something like the eventually-to-be-implemented
> org-babel-require would work here?
>

>> Would there be a way to get the load system to check for an org file
>> first and call org-babel-load-file?
>>

> I'm not sure exactly what you mean here.

I was thinking of (require 'xyz) somehow being overloaded to first check
for org files. Fuzzy thinking most likely ;) If I eval a block such as
(require 'mylib) it would be nice if it could detect the org has changed
and so re-create the el etc.  see below ....

>> Should possibly writing the org file auto create the .el file? Or is
>> that best left to load time?
>>

> I think this will be more reliable if it is left as a load-time
> operation, rather than as a save-hook or something.  Also, since the
> file is only re-tangled when the .org file is newer than the .el file it
> should not be a noticeable startup performance hit.

It's true about the overhead being small but if you edit the org file
then the elisp file should, I think, always be up to date and not out of
sync until the next emacs startup. Especially for those of us who might
use the daemon and restarts are few and far between. Imagine I alter a
tangled block in the my org file and save and later want to email some
lisp to a friend - as happened to today I might forget the updated org
and instead copy from the .el file - oops!

> Thanks -- Eric

Thanks for your reply. I really like org-babel. The only things I would
say about the current implementation, and being totally selfish as I
only use it for elisp at the moment ;), is that C-c C-c should use the
org-ctl-cl-ctl-c functionality to edit the code block as the default
instead of the harder to key "C-'". Would it be hard to make the default
org-file or src type configurable? On that note it would be wonderful if
somehow nxhtml would work with this so we could actually edit in place
in emacs-lisp mode. Is there anything in that direction?

Great stuff,

regard

r.