[Orgmode] [org-beamer] inline slides?

From: Austin Frank
Subject: [Orgmode] [org-beamer] inline slides?
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 16:38:46 -0500

Carsten and other beamerers--

Thanks for the excellent extension to org.  I've used it for one
presentation already and found it quite useful.

I have an idea that doesn't yet qualify as a feature request, more like
an idea for discussion.  What do people think about the idea of adding
the capability to write inline slides, akin to the way we can currently
write inline TODO items?

The parallels between the two applications seem pretty significant to
me.  Sometimes you're in the middle of a long block of text or an
outline tree where you don't want to disrupt the structure, and you want
to add a different kind of content alongside the current material.

The application I have in mind has to do with writing my doctoral
thesis.  I know that I'll be writing long chapters; I also know that
I'll have to prepare slides for my public defense.  Ideally, during the
writing process I'll be able to notice a series of important points and
drop into an inline slide to jot them down for the talk.  Similarly, I
could see wanting to start a section with an overview slide, but not
wanting to alter the structure of the section.

Since slides are mostly just headlines with special tags and properties,
at the end of the process I could easily selectively export just the
text of the dissertation or just the embedded slides.

Early on in the process of developing org-beamer, a suggestion was made
that footnotes could serve as a way of entering \note{} elements into
beamer slides.  That proposal sees notes as ways of annotating slides.
I'm interested in sort of flipping that idea around, so that slides are
basically short annotations of the major points in my thesis.

Do people think that an inline-slides interface akin to the inline-tasks
interface would be a useful way of incorporating beamer slides into org
documents?

Thanks,
/au

--