Re: [Orgmode] [babel] Moving to babel the whole configuration

From: Thomas S. Dye
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] [babel] Moving to babel the whole configuration
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 13:24:43 -1000

On Jan 26, 2010, at 10:34 AM, Dan Davison wrote:

"Eric Schulte" <address@hidden> writes:

Manish <address@hidden> writes:

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 10:15 PM, Dan Davison wrote:
andrea writes:

I'm really tempted to move all my emacs configuration in only
one big file.  This would also help me to make it more
consistent and readable.

But I'm afraid to mess up something, in theory I just need: -
a simple org and babel loader - one big file containing
everything

Hi Andrea,

I've used a single org mode file to keep all my emacs
configuration code for the last 5 months or so and I have not
had any problems at all. I highly recommend it.  I am using a
simple set up:

My ~/.emacs contains

(add-to-list 'load-path "/usr/local/src/org-mode/lisp")
(add-to-list 'load-path "/usr/local/src/org-mode/contrib/lisp")
(require 'org-install) (require 'org-babel-init)
(org-babel-load-file
"~/config/emacs/emacs.org") ------------------------------------------------------------------

and all the rest of my emacs config code is in
~/config/emacs/emacs.org

This works very nicely.  Thank you.

I am thinking about making my config a little leaner while I
reorganize without affecting functionality I have gotten used to by
preventing sections of config from loading. I thought setting :tangle to `no' should help but the default is already `no' and all my config is loaded. How would one go about marking a section of configuration so that it remains in the configuration file but does not get tangled
while Emacs boots?

Hi Manish,

I think this will require a little development/bug-fixing on my part
before it works easily.  As I recall the elisp tangling in
`org-babel-load-file' is fairly aggressive and may not respect tangle
header arguments.  But the method you described above (setting the
tangle header argument to no -- either in a subtree property or by
block) is certainly the correct approach.

Hi Eric -- I believe you already have it working in exactly this way :)

Manish -- could you double check please? I use :tangle no to exclude
blocks of elisp from my emacs init file, and it is working.

Dan

I'll let you know when I find some time to look into this.

Best -- Eric

Hi all,

I'm having the same experience as Dan. :tangle no keeps code blocks in my .org file from showing up in my .el file.

All the best,
Tom