Re: [Orgmode] [org-beamer] inline slides?

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] [org-beamer] inline slides?
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 16:10:01 +0000

At Tue, 26 Jan 2010 16:38:46 -0500,
Austin Frank wrote:
> I have an idea that doesn't yet qualify as a feature request, more like
> an idea for discussion.  What do people think about the idea of adding
> the capability to write inline slides, akin to the way we can currently
> write inline TODO items?

Interesting!  I am trying to get my mind around this.  It is
definitely an intriguing idea, putting aside the complexities of
implementation.  I could see it being useful, along the lines of all
the tangling examples in org-babel.

Whether I would use something like this or not is difficult to
ascertain.  I don't need to write long documents like a thesis (any
more! although my students do ;-); more importantly, I often will
prepare more than one presentation based on a given project and each
presentation will be substantially different enough to make it
difficult to embed slides.

> [...]
> The application I have in mind has to do with writing my doctoral
> thesis.  I know that I'll be writing long chapters; I also know that
> I'll have to prepare slides for my public defense.  Ideally, during the
> writing process I'll be able to notice a series of important points and
> drop into an inline slide to jot them down for the talk.  Similarly, I
> could see wanting to start a section with an overview slide, but not
> wanting to alter the structure of the section.

Yes, this I can see.  However, the type of different content you may
wish to attach/embed will depend on its final purpose.  That is, in
terms of presentations, who will be in the audience?

> Since slides are mostly just headlines with special tags and properties,
> at the end of the process I could easily selectively export just the
> text of the dissertation or just the embedded slides.

This begs the question: maybe an "export to org based on tags"
function is all that is required?  And this is probably already
implemented; I hesitate to suggest how or where, given my lack of
awareness of all the various multitude of features of org-mode, but I
can imagine that sparse trees could be part of any solution?

Just some thoughts...

eric