Re: [Orgmode] Bug: \log and friends are not recognized as math [6.34b]

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Bug: \log and friends are not recognized as math [6.34b]
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2010 11:40:03 -0500

Carsten Dominik <address@hidden> wrote:

> So here is a request for a volunteer.  Go through the list below
> and mark all macros according to three criteria:
>
> 1. Does not exist in TeX/LaTeX
> 2. Requires math-mode
> 3. Does not require math mode.
> 4. Is there another category, like "this cannot be used in math mode?"
>
> That would be a big help and let me fix the issue brought up by Rasmus.
>
> As this is a long list, maybe first post here that you are going
> to do it, so that not several people work on the same task.

Here is a partial result (there is a largish portion that I have not tested
yet):

1. This is notated by commenting out (except for the largish portion)
   are undefined in LaTeX (some may be defined in external packages [1]).

2. This is notated by using \ensuremath{\foo}.

3. This is notated by \foo - neither commented out, nor \ensuramath'ed.

4. I think the answer to this is "no".

5. There are some questionable items that cause problems but I have
   not investigated further: \divide, \and and \or are the ones that
   I remember. In addition, things like \sup2, \sup3 and \frac34 etc
   are almost certainly problematic.

This was pretty quick, so I may be able to do the unfinished block (but
don't let that stop you!), but I might not be able to do more in-depth
investigation of the questionable cases.

Thanks,
Nick

[1] BTW, I never announced it because it is very much still a
    work-in-progress, and I didn't get as much done as I wanted over the
    vacation, but there is a zeroth approximation to the external
    dependencies doc on Worg:

        http://orgmode.org/worg/org-dependencies.php

    But since I haven't been able to do much in the last couple of weeks,
    it's probably better to have people look at it, maybe even work at it.

\documentclass{article}

\begin{document}
% \nbsp
% \iexcl
% \cent
% \pound
% \curren
% \yen
% \brvbar

\ensuremath{\vert}
% \sect
% \uml
\copy
% \ordf
% \laquo
\not
% \shy
% \reg
% \macr
\ensuremath{\deg}
\ensuremath{\pm}
%\plusmn
\ensuremath{\sup }%2
\ensuremath{\sup }%3

\ensuremath{\acute x}
% \micro
% \para
% \middot
\ensuremath{\odot}
\ensuremath{\star}
%\cedil
\ensuremath{\sup1}
% \ordm
% \raquo
\ensuremath{\frac 1 4}
\ensuremath{\frac 1 2}
\ensuremath{\frac 3 4}
% \iquest
% \Agrave
% \Aacute
% \Acirc
% \Atilde
% \Auml
% \Aring
\AA
% \AElig
% \Ccedil
% \Egrave
% \Eacute
% \Ecirc
% \Euml
% \Igrave
% \Iacute
% \Icirc
% \Iuml
% \ETH
% \Ntilde
% \Ograve
% \Oacute
% \Ocirc
% \Otilde
% \Ouml
\ensuremath{\times}
% \Oslash
% \Ugrave
% \Uacute
% \Ucirc
% \Uuml
% \Yacute
% \THORN
% \szlig
% \agrave
% \aacute
% \acirc
% \atilde
% \auml
% \aring
% \aelig
% \ccedil
% \checkmark
% \egrave
% \eacute
% \ecirc
% \euml
% \igrave
% \iacute
% \icirc
% \iuml
% \eth
% \ntilde
% \ograve
% \oacute
% \ocirc
% \otilde
% \ouml
\divide

% \oslash
% \ugrave
% \uacute
% \ucirc
% \uuml
% \yacute
% \thorn
% \yuml
% \fnof
% \Alpha
% \Beta
\ensuremath{\Gamma}
\ensuremath{\Delta}
% \Epsilon
% \Zeta
% \Eta
\ensuremath{\Theta}
% \Iota
% \Kappa
\ensuremath{\Lambda}
% \Mu
% \Nu
\ensuremath{\Xi}
%\Omicron
\ensuremath{\Pi}
%\Rho
\ensuremath{\Sigma}
%\Tau
\ensuremath{\Upsilon}
\ensuremath{\Phi}
%\Chi
\ensuremath{\Psi}
\ensuremath{\Omega}
\ensuremath{\alpha}
\ensuremath{\beta}
\ensuremath{\gamma}
\ensuremath{\delta}
\ensuremath{\epsilon}
\ensuremath{\varepsilon}
\ensuremath{\zeta}
\ensuremath{\eta}
\ensuremath{\theta}
\ensuremath{\iota}
\ensuremath{\kappa}
\ensuremath{\lambda}
\ensuremath{\mu}
\ensuremath{\nu}
\ensuremath{\xi}
%\omicron
\ensuremath{\pi}
\ensuremath{\rho}
%\sigmaf
\ensuremath{\varsigma}
\ensuremath{\sigma}
\ensuremath{\tau}
\ensuremath{\upsilon}
\ensuremath{\phi}
\ensuremath{\chi}
\ensuremath{\psi}
\ensuremath{\omega}
%\thetasym
\ensuremath{\vartheta}
%\upsih
% \piv
% \bull
\ensuremath{\bullet}
%\hellip
\dots
\ensuremath{\prime}
%\Prime
% \oline
% \frasl
% \weierp
% \image
% \real
% \trade
% \alefsym
% \larr
\ensuremath{\leftarrow}
\ensuremath{\gets}
%\uarr
\ensuremath{\uparrow}
%\rarr
\ensuremath{\to}
\ensuremath{\rightarrow}
%\darr
\ensuremath{\downarrow}
%\harr
\ensuremath{\leftrightarrow}
%\crarr
\ensuremath{\hookleftarrow}
%\lArr
\ensuremath{\Leftarrow}
%\uArr
\ensuremath{\Uparrow}
%\rArr
\ensuremath{\Rightarrow}
%\dArr
\ensuremath{\Downarrow}
%\hArr
\ensuremath{\Leftrightarrow}
\ensuremath{\forall}
\part{foo}
\ensuremath{\partial}
%\exist
\ensuremath{\exists}
\empty
\ensuremath{\emptyset}
\ensuremath{\nabla}
%\isin
\ensuremath{\in}
\ensuremath{\notin}
\ensuremath{\ni}
\ensuremath{\prod}
\ensuremath{\sum}
%\minus
%\lowast
\ensuremath{\ast}
% \radic
% \prop
% \proptp
% \infin
\ensuremath{\infty}
%\ang

\ensuremath{\angle}
%?? x \and y
\ensuremath{\wedge}
% ?? \or
\ensuremath{\vee}
\ensuremath{\cap}
\ensuremath{\cup}
\ensuremath{\int}
% \there4
\ensuremath{\sim}
\ensuremath{\cong}
\ensuremath{\simeq}
\ensuremath{\asymp}
\ensuremath{\approx}
\ensuremath{\ne}
\ensuremath{\neq}
\ensuremath{\equiv}
\ensuremath{\le}
\ensuremath{\ge}
%\sub
\ensuremath{\subset}
\ensuremath{\sup}
\ensuremath{\supset}
%\nsub
% \sube
% \supe
\ensuremath{\oplus}
\ensuremath{\otimes}
\ensuremath{\perp}
%\sdot
\ensuremath{\cdot}
\ensuremath{\lceil}
\ensuremath{\rceil}
\ensuremath{\lfloor}
\ensuremath{\rfloor}

% tested up to this point - rest remains to be done, except for the final math
block.

% \lang
% \rang
% pp\loz
% \Diamond
% \spades
% \spadesuit
% \clubs
% \clubsuit
% \hearts
% \diamondsuit
% \diams
% \diamondsuit
% \smile
% \blacksmile
% \sad
% \quot
% \amp
% \lt
% \gt
% \OElig
% \oelig
% \Scaron
% \scaron
% \Yuml
% \circ
% \tilde
% \ensp
% \emsp
% \thinsp
% \zwnj
% \zwj
% \lrm
% \rlm
% \ndash
% \mdash
% \lsquo
% \rsquo
% \sbquo
% \ldquo
% \rdquo
% \bdquo
% \dagger
% \Dagger
% \permil
% \lsaquo
% \rsaquo
% \euro
% \EUR
% \EURdig
% \EURhv
% \EURcr
% \EURtm

% I didn't test these individually, but I'm pretty sure they all require math
mode.

\ensuremath{ \arccos
\arcsin
\arctan